Wednesday, November 20, 2013

You can’t judge a book by its cover

Wednesday - November 13, 2013

Over the last two days I have been in Makanya where the CLCT General Pastoral Conference has been held.  Prior to this pastors from both Kenya and Tanzania have met together (with men from Zambia, Uganda, and the Congo also joining).  This year, because of the division of the work in East Africa (Mike Gurath is serving Uganda and Kenya and I am working in Tanzania), we had to reorganize our Pastoral Conference and re-elect leaders to serve our conference in the coming years.  Our studies focused again on the Augsburg Confession and Articles 3 (The person and work of Christ) and 4 (Justification).  It was a very rewarding conference and many of the men again expressed their joy and appreciation for the CLC hosting and leading the Conference.

The men of the CLCT General Pastoral Conference

An interesting comment was made last night as we all gathered around the “goat feast” for the evening meal last night.  One pastor said: “We like it when you come alone.  We feel closer to you when you are here alone.”  I had never really thought about that before.  Have I, when I have come with others, given the impression that I don’t want to be around my African brethren, or that I would rather spend time with my American comrade(s)?  This year was different, and I did become closer to several of the men that I spent extra time with.

The "goat feast" on Wednesday night.  Before (left) and after (right).  Sidiki roasts the goat (below).

I didn’t want to believe that it was true, but in reality there probably was some truth there.  I’ve noticed when I’m on the bus or walking down the street that I feel that I have a connection with someone who has light skin like me.  I’m at times more inclined to start a conversation with a person who looks like me, than someone who has dark skin.  But do you know what is so ironic?  Just because a person has lighter skin doesn’t make them any more like me than someone with dark skin!  Sometimes I can’t even communicate with them, because they speak a different language (Italian, French, Dutch are among the ones I have met).  Even if you can communicate with them you usually find out that your ideologies are completely different.  This may also be true of many Africans, but the point is that it is not the color of our skin that makes us similar or different.  I have come to realize (again) that I have much more in common with my African brethren than I do with the average “mzungu” (Swahili for “white person”), both here and back in the United States.

 It just goes to show: “You can’t judge a book by it’s cover!”

We all need that reminder from time to time.  No matter what the color of our skin, we all look at the outside for commonalities first.  But this is really the least important of all.  What valuable relationships have you missed out on because you too judged the book by it’s cover?

I have a lot in common with these men even if our skin color is different.  And I have enjoyed getting to know them better this year.

The pastors of the conference visit during the morning break on Thursday.  

“For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.  And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise” (Galatians 3:27-29). 

1 comment:

Ann Duncan said...

Did you meet your dinner before you had your goat feast? Good comments on judging by appearance. Something all of us need to learn. God bless you! Have a good trip home.