Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Masaai Congregation

Saturday - November 2, 2013

Today was an open day on my schedule for working in the Arusha district.  Pastor Jeremiah made plans for me to visit one of the Masaai congregations west of Arusha toward the national parks.  Jeremiah said he would pick me up at 9:00am to do some errands before leaving town and I thought that was an acceptable time as it would give me some time to sleep in a bit.  As it turned out, he could have picked me up at 6:00am and I would have had plenty of time for everything I needed since I woke up at 3:00am and couldn't get back to sleep!  Jetlag, or just preparing for daylight savings time in Africa?

We accomplished our errands, and were on the road by 10:00am.  It took us a while just to get out of Arusha, even though Jeremiah kept telling me that traffic wasn't bad today because it was Saturday.  If it wasn't bad today, I sure don't want to go back through Arusha on a weekday!  If the motorbikes didn't outnumber the cars 2 to 1 and people drove on the right side of the road, I'd almost think I was back home again fighting through rush hour traffic on 316!

Once we got out of Arusha we had another problem.  The road is currently under construction.  This is the main highway which carries tourists to Tanzania from the Kilimangaro airport and Arusha airport to the national parks of Tanzania.  It is a very busy road, especially during the high tourist season (probably why they are working on it now...).  We had to take several diversions to get around the sections of road that were under construction.  It took us about an hour to drive from Arusha to Kerikeri. We met up with one of the Masaai leaders on the main road and he directed us off several miles off the main road to a deserted and barren land inhabited only by Masaai people.  Here in this wasteland was a small wooden church.

The congregation at Kerikeri, in front of their humble church building.

This is a dry land to begin with, but this year it is particularly dry.  This is the rainy season, but the rains have not yet come.  The Masaai people are herding people, raising cattle and goats.  The men herd the animals great distances to find water and food enough to sustain their herds.  Other than the pastor and one church leader (neither were from this area) there were no men who met us at the church.  Only women and small children were in attendance.

The barrenness and heat of this area is beyond comprehension - even to one from the Sandhills of Nebraska!

The location of this church reminded me of what it must have been like for the children of Israel when they journeyed through the Sinai wilderness.  Even with the Lord's blessing of a pillar of cloud by day and fire my night, food in Manna and Quail, and water from rocks, it must have been a very harsh existence during those years.  And like the children of Israel, how little we too appreciate the many blessings the Lord has given to us!

Cattle in the area take shelter from the blazing sun under the shade of an Acacia tree.

We greeted the congregation and encouraged them, and prayed that the Lord would soon bring rain to their land.  They are in great need of rain for food for themselves and their flocks.  Please keep this congregation in your prayers, that the Lord would provide rain according to their need, and would cause them to grow in their knowledge and trust in the One True God.

It was late afternoon when we returned to my room.  Tomorrow is Sunday and I will be preaching at Pastor Jeremiah's church nearby.  Then on Monday and Tuesday I will conduct a seminar for the pastors of this area.  Please pray for the Lord's blessing on the pastors and congregations in the Arusha district!

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; 

In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.


Proverbs 3:5-6

4 comments:

Unknown said...

God bless you, Pastor. I pray that the area will receive the rainfall that its needs, according to God's will. Hope you have easier travel next time.

Unknown said...

I don't know why this site thinks I am an unknown robot?
Ann Duncan
Zion Ev. Lutheran Church
Lawrenceville, GA

Missionary Mayhew said...

Thanks for your prayers, Ann and for looking out for my family while I'm gone. The Masaai area has received a great deal of rain over the last two days and they are very grateful. May this lead them to trust more firmly in their Savior! Thanks be to God for His many blessings!

Ann Duncan said...

That's wonderful! I'm so glad to hear of the rain. Praise be to our Triune God.