Monday, November 11, 2013

Into the Banana Jungle

Wednesday - November 6, 2013 (Part 2)

It’s not what you think.

The Banana Jungle

It’s a traveling day as I close up shop here in Arusha and make my way to the next stop on the itinerary.  From here it’s off to Moshi where I will meet up with Pastor Malyi.  It is an hour and a half trip by shuttle from Arusha to Moshi, and I was hoping to see my first glimpse of the grand peak of Mt. Kilimanjaro.  It was unlikely though because it was dark and cloudy, with more than just a hint of rain in the air.  It was a good sign when they took my bags and put them in the back seat instead of loading them on the roof of the bus.  That means there will be room to stretch!  November is a low season for tourists and the shuttle was practically empty.  In fact, it was so empty, I thought they might tell me the trip was cancelled.  But with just three paid customers, they started the bus and we were on our way.  

One of the other passengers was a young man from California (now going to school in South Africa) who was here on break.  He and a friend were planning to climb Kilimanjaro - the tallest peak in all Africa.  The only other passenger was another young man who was also on break from school and was traveling to Moshi to visit his grandfather.

When the shuttle arrived in Moshi, Pastor Malyi was there to meet me.  After a brief stop in a secratarial store for materials for our seminar tomorrow, we were on our way to Marangu. Marangu is one of the entrances into Mt. Kilimanjaro National Park - one of the premiere tourist sites in the world.  It is on the south east slope of Mt. Kilimanjaro, and is lush and green.  Banana trees, coffee and maze cover the beautiful landscape.  While I have been to Marangu several times, I have never stayed there, so I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect.
 
My kids say maps are good, so I'm including a map which shows Arusha (left), Moshi (center) and Marangu (just southeast of Mt. Kilimanjaro).

Usually when I am here we host our seminar for this area in Moshi.  This year it was decided to move our seminar to Marangu to give other pastors an opportunity to attend.  Pastor Malyi had arranged for our conference to be held in the Banana Jungle.  To be honest, it sounded beautiful, but I wasn’t sure if I wanted to sleep there!  It was another one and a half hour trip from Moshi to Marangu, and on the way it started to rain - hard.  We came passed through Marangu and after a while pulled off the tarmac road.  We passed a barely visible sign for “Banana Jungle Lodge” and bounced our way up the washed-out, rocky trail that led to the Lodge.  I knew it wasn’t going to be a four star hotel, but I was starting to wonder if it would have any star at all....

A picture of the Lodge sign AFTER it stopped raining.

When we pulled into the “parking lot” the rain had let up a bit, but it was still coming down.  Our bags were unloaded and we scattered for cover.  The matron of the Lodge, an elderly lady was very kind and welcomed us into her home.  Introductions were made and we talked about our families and discussed plans for the week.

When the rain subsided we were shown to the back area of the complex were the main facilities were found.  Before us were a variety of buildings, surrounded by a beautifully and meticulously kept garden.  There were several small huts, as well as a few small houses, and several larger buildings as well. Each small building was a room.  The large buildings served as the kitchen/dining room and a hall.  It was beautiful, and very well kept.  I opted for a hut for my room.  It wasn’t the Ritz Hotel, but it got 5 stars for originality  It had a bed, a closet for my clothes and even a hot water heater in the bathroom, so I was one happy camper!

My hut at the Banana Jungle Lodge

I was worried about what my accommodations were going to be like.  But all my worries were futile.  In the end, what awaited me was better than I expected.  In much the same way, we may also “worry” about what our “accommodations” may be like in heaven.  We may not want to go, preferring to stay here in the familiarity of this life (even with the pain that goes along with it).. We all struggle with that in one way or another.  But the Lord has readied a place for us and opened the door to heaven through His death on Calvary.  There He promises us something better than anything we could ever imagine!

“For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself” (Philippians 3:20-21). 

It may not be heaven, but the Banana Jungle Lodge will do just fine for the next few days!

In His service,

Nathanael

2 comments:

Ann Duncan said...

That's a great picture of the Banana Jungle -- I'd like to see one of the interior of your "hut". Great analogy. People often cling to the familiar, even if it's bad, rather than stepping out to an unknown.

Debra Mayhew said...

I agree with Ann - I would love to see a picture of the inside! You know how much I love to look at houses. I also agree with you - my mansion is in heaven. Even our dream home can't compare to the joys that await.