Monday, September 13, 2010

Back to Kisii

Friday – September 10, 2010

On the road again... Daniel met us at the hotel this morning and walked us back across the border into Kenya. We loaded up into a shuttle that was going to Kisumu, but had to wait 2 hours until it finally left! The bus won’t leave until they have filled every seat, and you never know how long it is going to take. So we ended up spending our morning in the bus and finally left at 11:00am.

Two men cart 10 litre containers of water up the street on a hand and foot operated cart.

I am constantly amazed at how load everyone plays their music here. As we waited for the bus to leave there was music blaring from a shop that was selling African videos. They had the TV hooked up to a receiver and it was blasting the music through some speakers set up outside the canvas shop. Then when our shuttle started up it started blasting its music as well. There don’t seem to be such a thing as riding in silence. And here is the sad thing – wherever you are, they generally don’t have much for selection, so you end up hearing the same 4 to 8 songs over and over and over again! You can’t help but wonder if these songs ever get old for everyone else....

The roads weren’t too bad and we arrived in Kisumu two hours later. We exited our shuttle and had to find another bus to Kisii. This time we weren’t as fortunate. On the first bus they limited the passengers to 14. On the second bus, they not only packed in an extra four passengers, but they also made stops along the way to drop off passengers and pick up more. Mike and I were pretty scrunched in that second bus, and wondering if they had any concept of physics! It was a rough two and a half hour ride to Kisii, and we were more than glad to get off the bus when it finally arrived.

Stephen and Russ weren’t back from their church visitation in the Kisii area yet when we arrived, so Mike and I checked into the Jazz, and then went out to run some errands. We haven’t had much of a chance to do that over the last week with as busy as it has been, so it was good to check a few things off the to-do list.

Construction is underway right next to the Jazz Hotel. You can see the heavy concrete construction of the building here.

We met up with Russ and Stephen at the Nile Restaurant at about 6:00pm and caught each other up on the events of the day. It sounds like they have had some productive days here in Kisii as well. We were glad that they were able to do some visiting in our absence.

Tomorrow we have our Kisii District Leaders Seminar in Chotororo. We pray for good weather and a good turn out, and ask for the Lord’s blessings on the continuing work here.

In His service,


“It is good to give thanks to the LORD, to sing praises to your name, O Most High; to declare your steadfast love in the morning, and your faithfulness by night, to the music of the lute and the harp, to the melody of the lyre. For you, O LORD, have made me glad by your work; at the works of your hands I sing for joy. How great are your works, O LORD!” – Psalm 92:1-5

No comments: