Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sunday, November 9th - Sunday worship in Kibololoni

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Russ and I were invited to the church in Kiboroloni for the worship service this morning. Kiboroloni is just East of Moshi about 5 km. We had been here earlier in the week when we visited the school that they run, and I was excited to be there for the service. One of the seminary students lives close to the church here and helps serve as "assistant pastor" at the congregation.

We arrived about 9:30am and the service was scheduled to begin at 10:00am. We visited with Heoric (the sem student) and Pastor Angowi to find out how the service would go. It was a special service for harvest festival, so it was going to be a longer service. Of course the service didn’t start at 10:00, since very few people were there. It started at about 10:30 instead and people continued to come in after the service started. They kept bringing out more chairs and more benches for the people who came late. It was really a small building - about 30x50, and packed to the fullest. They had a special choir that was there which sang several songs during the service. Since last year they have produced their own album! The service was again very liturgical, with the congregation participating in responses like our liturgy. The congregation sang songs, they read several scripture readings, and Russ and I were given time to present the word of God in the place of the sermon. All in all the service lasted over two hours, and it wasn’t because of my sermon! Pastor Angowi had a meeting following the service, so we had the rest of the afternoon free.

After the service I visited with some of the members for a while, but then we returned to the hotel. It was 2:00pm when we arrived, so we ate a small, late lunch and then went to our room. Russ rested up and I tried to get caught up on my reports and records and did a little prep word for Monday’s classes at Himo.

I really didn’t realize how much I needed the afternoon quiet time until this afternoon. If felt good to be able to relax a little bit and do som much needed catch up work. It is always go, go go! We really haven’t had a day off since we arrived here over four weeks ago. Most of that is my doing, because I make the schedule, but I want to get as much done as I can while I am here. But it is wearing!

Our trip is slowly coming to an end, and yet there is so much to do before we leave. May the Lord give us strength and stamina and continue to keep us as he has thus far!

More tomorrow...

In Christ

Nathanael

No comments: