Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Safe Arrival

Monday – August 9, 2010

We finally made it. After our service concluded at Zion on Sunday, my family and I drove to the Atlanta airport so I could catch my 2:45pm flight to Chicago. I didn’t have any problems checking my two bags full of books, Spokesman issues, and a few other odds and ends. The United Airlines Representative at the airports was a little concerned about checking my bags all the way through since I only had a one hour layover in Amsterdam, and didn’t think I would make my flight. I assured her that I had been through the airport before and would be fine making my flight, so she sent them through. After saying an emotional goodbye to my family (especially Hope) I made my way through security to my gate. My flight to Chicago was on a small Embracer, only four seats wide, with and isle in the middle. I was in the very back row, right in front of the bathroom. It was not a good seat. Since it was against the wall my seat did not recline backwards. What was just as bad was the fact that this plane also had its engine on the tail rather than under the wing. As a result the engine noise was much louder than any other plane that I’ve ever been on. I was glad that it was only a two and half hour flight, and determined not to have a back row seat again in the near future. The highlight of the flight was when we flew over Chicago and I spotted Wrigley Field where a Cubs game was in progress. For a long time Cubs fan that was pretty exhilarating!

I arrived in Chicago ahead of schedule (Thank you United Airlines!) and met up with Todd Ohlmann in the terminal after a short wait. At about 6:00 we boarded a 777 for our flight to Amsterdam. Once again I found myself in the back row of the plane, and although I wasn’t able to recline my seat much, at least there wasn’t as much engine noise since the engines were under the wings on this plane! We flew over Lake Michigan and across lower Michigan where my wife grew up.


A view of God's beautiful creation over Lake Michigan from my seat on the plane.


It didn’t take long for the sun to go down and soon there was nothing to see at all. At about 11:00PM I fell asleep for a couple hours, while we flew over the Atlantic between Newfoundland and Ireland. The sun started to come up as we neared England. We arrived in Amsterdam at 9:30am local time (about 3:30am back home). I was pretty tired and really stiff after two flights where I was unable to recline my seat. While we waited for our plane to arrive in Amsterdam I tried to stretch to loosen up a bit, but it didn’t help much. I wasn’t looking forward to another 9 hour flight, but made sure that I was not in the back row for this flight! I generally like to be by the window, especially during the day when there is so much to see below, but I sacrificed to go to an isle seat to get away from the back of the plane! It was actually a good seat and I was able to nap for another hour or so on this flight as well. We arrived safely in Nairobi at 7:30pm local time (12:30pm back home), and although I was still tired, I felt confident that I could go to the hotel and get a good night’s sleep. We were able to get through customs in record time, but then ended up waiting for 2 and a half hours for our checked bags. One of Todd’s and one of mine failed to show up. After we had someone check for them, and were sure they hadn’t arrived, we had to file a claim with the Baggage center at the airport and ask them to deliver them to our hotel in Nairobi when they came in. By the time we finished up and left the airport, it was after 10:00pm. We looked for the driver that was supposed to be there waiting for us, but didn’t see him. After getting an Africa sim card for my phone we hired a driver to take us to our hotel.

By the time we checked into the Southern Blue, it was pretty late. We settled into our room and then went down to the restaurant to get some supper. We ordered several samosas, but the waiter told us that the selection was limited because the store where they get their food was closed for the night (at least we know that our food is fresh!!!). So we each ordered a plate of fries and visited about our plans for the coming days. Several of the people that are working here are new, but there are many familiar faces as well. This has kind of become our “home away from home” here in Africa.

We were both exhausted from our flights and lack of sleep, so we were eager to get to bed, yet struggling with the time change. It was about 11:30pm here in Nairobi, but our bodies were still telling us that it was the middle of the afternoon. Finally we drifted off to sleep.


He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust." -- Psalm 91:1-2

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about the uncomfortable flights, but great to hear that all else went well except for the 2 bags that didn't make it on the flights.